This building was the first to use provisions from the Special Theatre District, enacted in 1967 to encourage construction of legitimate Broadway theaters as well as a pedestrian circulation network. The developer agreed to provide a new Broadway theater and two through-block spaces connecting West 44th and 45th Streets west of Broadway in return for a floor area bonus. The more famous of the spaces, at least by name, is Shubert Alley, an uncovered corridor whose width extends from the back of One Astor Place toward the Shubert and Booth Theaters, both styled in Italian Renaissance architectural motif by Henry B. Herts in 1912-1913. At show time, the alley comes alive with audience members. Shubert Alley is one leg of a two-block pedestrian network completed by a covered, outdoor, through-block passageway one block north known appropriately enough as Shubert Alley Extension, at the back of the Marriott Marquis hotel. Closer to Broadway is the pedestrian thoroughfare, a covered, outdoor, through block arcade cutting through the base of One Astor Place that provides an entrance to the Minskoff Theater, a retail outlet, and much dark glass or otherwise blank walls.